What Are Hanger Bolts?
What does a hanger bolt look like? First, it has no head. A hanger bolt looks more like a peg that includes two different types of threading. At one end, you’ll find threading for driving into wood. On the other end, you’ll find threading that’s designed for fasteners like machine nuts.
What are hanger bolts used for? Most often, they are used to do one of two things:
- - Attach items to wood, such as table legs.
- - Suspend things from wood like ledger board for stairs, metal sheeting or electrical wires. The lag screw threading is used to drive into the wood portion and the machine screw threading is used on the other end.
You may also encounter other names for hanger bolts — labels like “hanger screws,” “couch bolts,” “headless hanger bolts” and more. There are many advantages and uses for hanger bolts, but you’ll need a hanger bolt driver to install one properly. The specific type of project you're working on can help you determine when you need a hanger bolt, and you can always talk with our team if you're not sure. This type of fastener is ideal for wood-to-metal bolting. In some cases, you may need a nut to hold it in place.
Here’s a look at how to use a hanger bolt driver as well as some key things to consider and avoid when using a hanger bolt driver for installing hanger bolts.
HANGER BOLT DRIVERS — THE STURDY, EASY-TO-USE FASTENER TOOL
Given the unique nature of a hanger bolt, installing one can be just a little bit complex when compared to installing other types of fasteners. There’s nothing to be afraid of, so long as you know what you’re doing going into a project. For easy and proper hanger bolt installation, users will have an accompanying hanger bolt driver -- a convenient attachment used with a power drill.
Here’s a look at how to use a hanger bolt driver to properly install hanger bolts:
- - Pilot Holes: You’ll find that creating pilot holes makes installing a hanger bolt into the wood end just a little bit easier. Use a drill bit that’s a little narrower than the hanger bolt’s wood-end diameter and use that bit to drill the small pilot hole. You’ll want to be exact, of course, so that whatever you’re creating is perfectly aligned. But drilling this simple pilot hole will make installing the wood end of the hanger bolt far easier than it would be otherwise. If you choose not to drill a pilot hole, you risk cracking or splitting the wood during installation.
- - Attach Driver: Attach your driver tool to the machine-threaded end of the hanger bolt and then place the driver tool into your drill chuck. Make sure all components are tight. Once you start driving the hanger bolt, any loose connections can lead to issues with your hanger bolt — and can even damage the wood into which you're trying to drive the hanger bolt.
- - Start Drilling: Once everything is tight and ready to go, start the drill — but start it slowly. You'll want to be sure the hanger bolt is driving in perfectly straight fashion before pumping up the speed. Know before you start drilling how much exposed bolt you need on the machine-threaded end, and leave that much available before you stop drilling. Once you've driven it the desired amount, simply put the drill into reverse and the driver will remove itself from the hanger bolt.
If you go too far with your drilling and need to back off just a little bit, you'll need to get two hex nuts. Place the two hex nuts onto the machine-threaded end of the hanger bolt so they’re about halfway down its length. Place them back-to-back and then use a wrench to latch onto the second nut. This will allow you to unscrew the hanger bolt just enough until you reach the desired exposed length on the machine end.
HOW TO INSTALL HANGER BOLTS USING A HANGER BOLT DRIVER
When you need a strong tool to guide and facilitate the smooth installation of a hanger bolt, then look no further than the hanger bolt driver. These convenient, reliable tools ensure every improvement project is completed in a timely, hassle-free manner. To use a hanger bolt driver, tighten the hex shank of the piece into the drill chuck, then place the machine thread of the driver bolt into the bolt driver and use the drill to drive the hanger bolt into the surface of the wood.
Since hanger bolts act like studs and have lag threads at both ends of their structure, you cannot expect to use standard tools like a slotted driver or regular Phillips head type drive for effective installation. Due to the specificity of hanger bolts, a specialized hanger bolt driver is the best and most dependable option.
FEATURES OF HANGER BOLT DRIVERS
With a hanger bolt driver, you can quickly drive bolts with the simple use of a drill. Hanger bolt drivers are available in a variety of sizes and diameters to easily suit any type of bolt insertion need and they can easily be swapped for different sizing options. For convenient use, contractors and handy homeowners should have several different hanger bolt sizes accessible for ease of use and quick adaptation for any type of fastening project.
Hanger bolt drivers are specially designed and manufactured for lasting and reliable use. They feature the following:
- - Steel manufacturing for extreme durability in any environment or situation
- - Ideally used for tightening any kind of threaded rod or bolt
- - Sturdy design for easy hook-ups with L-feet and 8-inch hanger bolts to support the heaviest objects, even metal surfaces
- - Variable mounting patterns to accommodate any type of job or project site
- - Streamlined design and efficient, smooth installations ensure a strong, lasting hardware support
A WIDE SELECTION OF HANGER BOLT DRIVERS FOR ANY NEED
At FMW Fasteners, we want to help you have the most efficient, cost-effective and durable projects possible. That's why we offer our customers the highest quality, most diverse fastener products available. Our wide selection includes the following sizing options:
- - 1/ 4-20 x 1 3/4 Hanger Bolt Drivers
- - 5 /16-18 x 1 3/4 Hanger Bolt Drivers
- - 5 / 16-18 x 2 9/16 Hanger Bolt Drivers
- - 3 /18-16 x 1 7/8 Hanger Bolt Drivers
- - 3 / 8-16 x 2 9/16 Hanger Bolt Drivers
All our hanger bolt driver styles are available in various quantities, and our team of experienced professionals is available to help you select the proper fastener products to suit your specific needs and budget. We offer flexible, hassle-free ordering options so you can get the precise amounts you need for your project type. Our selections are available at extremely competitive prices while maintaining optimal quality, so you can be confident you'll get lasting performance.
ABOUT FMW FASTENERS
At FMW Fasteners, we serve as your comprehensive source for all the hanger bolts and other fastening products and accessories you need for a range of products. We serve contractors, carpenters and other construction professionals as well as do-it-yourself enthusiasts who want quality materials so they can complete projects of all kinds.
And you always get quality when you choose FMW Fasteners. Our products are designed and manufactured to deliver long-term performance in even the most rugged environments. Whether you’re building a table or an office building, you can be sure you’ll find the best of the best in our selection — hanger bolts, hanger bolt drivers and other products that meet the highest standards for quality.
Our goal is to ensure you always have access to the fasteners needed to do your best work and deliver the best possible results. Whether you're working on an industrial project or tackling work around the house, we're here to help you get what you need. We'll handle all the ordering and shipping logistics for you to make sourcing your supplies fast and easy. With an extensive inventory of everything from common fasteners to hard-to-find supplies, we can help you get the job done every time.
EXPLORE OUR SELECTION OF HANGER BOLT DRIVERS TODAY
You always enjoy low prices at FMW Fasteners and our shipping is fast and inexpensive. In fact, we offer free shipping on all qualifying orders. Order in the exact quantity you need rather than settling for some arbitrarily chosen bulk amount. And return what you don’t want or need at any time, as long as the materials remain in like-new condition — there’s no expiration on returns at FMW Fasteners.
We know your work is important to you, whether you’re a professional or just a hobbyist who wants to create professional-quality products. Any quality product begins with quality materials, and that’s what we strive to provide at FMW Fasteners. Should you have any questions as you browse through our selection, or if you can’t find the products you’re looking for, please get in touch with our customer service team. We’re always here to help.
Browse our selection of hanger bolt drivers today.